Friday, February 26, 2010

no pain no gain


Oh the gym. I'm one of those people who gets bored super fast. I've realized I like to get in, and get out as quick as I possibly can. I do this by giving myself one hour, and know that during that one hour I am going to be as energetic, effectual and focused as I possibly can. My philosophy is based on interval training consisting of high and medium levels of activity repeated over brief periods of time combining weights and resistance training with the treadmill and stairmaster. I spend thirty minutes on cardio, and thirty minutes on weights and resistance training. Depending on my mood I will do six increments of ten minutes, four increments of fifteen minutes or two increments of thirty minutes. I'm a firm believer in the mottos, "time under tension" and "no pain no gain". This is an efficacious and enjoyable way to get a total body workout. You are guaranteed to be dripping in sweat by the time you leave!

Here is an example of my sixty minute workout today:

1-10 minutes: Running on treadmill (about an 8 minute mile, resulting in about 1.25 miles)
11-20 minutes: Free weights (arms)
21-30 minutes: Treadmill 15 incline, jogging between levels 4.5 and 6
31-40 minutes: Legs. Squats, side lunges, reverse lunges holding weights ranging from 5-8 pounds
41-50 minutes: Stairmaster level 14, speed intervals
51-60 minutes: Abs. Bicycles, leg raises, plank, sit ups, crunches, etc.

Such a great feeling when I'm done :) What's great about this workout is anyone can go at their own pace. I used to not be able to finish a mile! Anyone can accomplish anything they set their mind to. Never say never.

xoxo a.

No comments:

Post a Comment